Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Red Velvet Cake Balls



So rich
Valentine’s Day is Thursday! I’m going to make Red Velvet Cake balls to give to my friends instead of the traditions valentines that you buy at the store. I have only made cake balls once before but they are really easy and fun. They also come in handy if your cake falls apart when you take it out of the pan.
I choose red velvet cake because it is one of my favorites. My mom normally makes me some type of red velvet sweet for my birthday every year.  She has made red velvet cake with chocolate icing, red velvet cupcakes and cheese cake.  

Ingredients
3 large eggs
1 ¼ cup water
1/3 cup vegetable/ canola oil
Red velvet cake mix
3 ounces cream cheese softened
1-2 cup powdered sugar
¼ cup butter softened
½ teaspoon vanilla
White chocolate chips or simi- sweet
Sprinkles

Choose a pan and spay with cooking oil; I will probably use a cupcake pan or my brownie pan that is 9 by 9 to bake the cake in. It doesn’t really matter what you use just as long as the cake gets cooked.  Pre-heat at 350.  

Mix together cake mix, eggs, water, and oil in a large bowl at low speed if you have a mixer if not stir at a low speed until batter is red. Then mix faster until at a medium speed until all ingredients are fully blended. 

So weird looking but so good
Pour into pan and bake for about 20-30 minutes it depends on you pan: cupcakes- about 20 min, cake pan -30-40 minutes)


So much fun!










Let it cool then crumble (if it’s not cool you can burn your hands)









Make cream cheese icing by mixing butter, cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until all ingredients are fully blended. Start with 1 cup of powdered sugar then add more if the icing is soupy. Make sure the butter and cream cheese is just softened not melted or you will have to refrigerate. 



Like playdough but you can eat it




Add crumbled cake to icing and mix together (use your hands it makes it easier.) Then pinch off a half a tablespoon size amount and roll into a ball.  










Only time I will eat white chocolate


While making the balls melt white chocolate chips in microwave in 30 second increments at 50% power.  Stirring between each increment until melted. If it starts to harden instead of melt you have burned it. 

Dip balls into chocolate coating the ball then roll in sprinkles and enjoy.

4 comments:

  1. This looks so delicious! I'm definitely going to give this a try for Valentine's Day this year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm adding this page to my favorites! They look amazing and they sound delicious! I'm going to try making these very soon!

    --Sonny J

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look really GOOD. I made some before but they didn't look as good as your, I might have to try your cake balls next time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look amazing and taste amazing thank you for letting me try
    Some, I'm going to have to try and make them now because they were so good:)

    ReplyDelete